So its been a while now since I've been on here- apologies to all! I must confess I wanted to write but have had many challenges and here are just a few;

I've been put onto Universal Credit and this  means I now get, almost £200.00 less benefit per month.  I still have the fighting spirit to get a job though and this can only be achieved if the behaviours towards disabled applicants changes. I would consider working from home.

In one recent telephone conversation I was asked why don't I have hearing aids? I was stumped by the question but really I should have responded by asking why they don't have hearing aids as (1) had they heard and understood my explanation of what its like to have Hyperacusis - the opposite to deafness (2) if they had they would have understood that a person with Hyperacusis hearing is like being in the middle of an orchestra and trying to have  a conversation with someone that is 20 foot away being expected to hear and understand  then give  a good response to what the other person had said.

In applying for jobs and completing the medical information about how long you've been out of work-and having to state 4 years I feel has gone against me- especially when the conversation has not been had with me directly, as to why. 

If more employers would investigate how, when and what their reasonable adjustment process was looked at and implementation of adjustments I probably would have been in a job long ago but its just that conversation.

It is very hard to know what can be implemented and yet under the new Disability Act employers are still failing to meet the needs of its disabled applicants. I've applied for at least 80 jobs with only 2 interviews.

The other part of my dilemma for being away is this; contemplating running a support group.
So what I've been doing is researching how to set up and run a support group.

What I hope to achieve is to have people share their experience, testimonials. have guest speakers, provide medical information or signposting to different organisations but most importantly to have a safe place to chat and network with other peoples understanding where thy are in their journey of managing this rare disorder. highlight what works and what doesn't.

I want to raise awareness of the battle to get others to understand its debilitating impact on our lives. It needs to be recognised also the element of exclusion that is caused by the condition.

So if there is anyone out there in the Birmingham area that would like to host it, sponsor,  or raise funds for it - please email me at dorrettehanson@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The effects of Hyperacusis